open position:PhD Student QST (qAOP) (m/f/d)
Full Time, Starts May 1, 2021; in Aachen (@RWTH Aachen University), Germany
PhD Student QST (qAOP) (m/f/d)
esqLABS has exciting projects for a highly talented and motivated life-science modeling & simulation scientist who enjoys driving innovations and setting new boundaries in physiologically-based & quantitative systems modeling (toxicology or pharmacology) (QSP/T).
esqLABS is not only an innovative contract research organization for the pharmaceutical, chemical, and food industry specialized in PBP/TK and QSP/T, but also a member of the Open-Systems-Pharmacology (OSP) Management Team. We help drive the development and standards of the open domain software (PK-Sim® and MoBi®) within a cross-functional environment with academia and industry to push the boundaries of quantitative systems pharmacology and systems toxicology. esqLABS has gained considerable momentum, providing world-wide services and attracting international players in the pharma and crop industry but also start-ups in the life-science technology sector as clients. In addition, funding through national and EU-wide research grants allows us to progressively further the development of our core technologies.
To help us innovate and develop our methods and tools for toxicological risk assessment, we are looking for a PhD Student QST (qAOP) (m/f/d) to strengthen our team.
About your new role
Are you a highly talented and motivated life-science modeling & simulation scientist? Do you enjoy driving innovation and setting new boundaries in what can be achieved by computational life-sciences? Then this could be a good fit:
- Scientific methodology development for our participation in the 5-year EU research project OnTox
- Build a central pillar of a toxicology risk assessment framework centered on quantification of Adverse Outcome Pathways (AOP), the systems biology of toxicology (liver-, nephro-, and neurotoxicology)
- Tool and algorithm development for an integrated (ontology-based) modeling framework
- Track issues and communicate with peers to assess project requirements
- Challenge (project) requirements and engineer feasible solutions from start till end
Skills & experience we require
- A strong background in Applied Mathematics (systems modeling and simulation sciences)
- MSc in Mathematics, Engineering, Physics or a quantitative computational modeling field (applications of mechanistic modeling and systems theory)
- Advanced expertise in a scripting language for modeling and simulation (ideally R, alternatively Python or MATLAB®)
- Fluency in English (oral and written)
Skills & experience that are nice to have
- A minor (or experience) in life-sciences (Biology, Medicine, Pharmacology)
- A strong understanding of statistics
- Published peer-reviewed articles
What we offer
- A passionate and dedicated team with people who are always willing to broaden their horizon
- A PhD position at RWTH Aachen University (available degrees: Dr. med. or Dr. nat.)
- A salary comparable to TVöD13 (85%), backed by the EU project for up to 5 years
- A dedicated budget for education programs and conferences you can attend
- A working environment in which your contribution will make the difference
- Sounds like a fit? Then we are looking forward to receiving your application via email@example.com!
- If you require any further information, feel free to contact Dr. Stephan Schaller on +49 151 58559070.